Thursday, January 12, 2012

Aussie tennis great undeterred by gay protest


Australia's greatest women's tennis player Margaret Court says she will not be deterred by gay activists planning to target the Australian Open over her views on homosexuality.
Court, who is now a senior pastor at a church in Perth, is staunchly opposed to gay marriage and a peaceful protest is planned at the first Grand Slam of the season next week at Melbourne Park, where a court is named after her.
The Facebook group, Rainbow Flags Over Margaret Court Arena, began in response to Court's anti-gay marriage stance and they are urging people to display gay pride colours at the tournament.
Court vowed the protest would not stop her from attending.
"Are they not wanting me to come to the Australian Open? Is that what they are trying to do? I don't run from anything," Court, who won all four Grand Slams in the same year in 1970, told The Australian newspaper Thursday.
"I have always been a champion and always loved what I do and love tennis. I think it is very sad they can bring it into that.
"It is hard that they can voice their opinions but I am not allowed to voice my opinion. There is something wrong somewhere.
"We live in a free society and I stand up for families between a husband and a wife. I won't ever back down on that," added the 69-year-old.
Court's views on homosexuality, which she has publicly held for more than 20 years, have drawn criticism in the past from fellow greats including Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King, who are both gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment